When I was a young boy my grandmother would show me how to take cuttings and root plants. We also planted seeds and started our own tomato plants for the garden. She planted a seed in me to enjoy a life long passion to grow plants. Although my family has always grown food for us to eat about 10 years ago we started growing food to sell to others and now through our CSA , farm stand, and farmers Market we provide food for hundreds of people each week.
What I want to do for you is plant a seed in you so that you can grow some of your own food. So you ask why would I want to do that? Here are 10 good reasons.
1. Growing your own food is rewarding and not only fills your belly but also your soul.
2. When you grow something you want to share it with family and your community.
3.Growing food connects you with the natural world and God’s great creation.
4. Growing food can be a way to connect children with healthy eating habits.
5.When you share a meal with family and friends and part of that meal is something you have grown it is a special occasion.
6 Building relationships with family and friends often starts over a meal. What better way to add significance than to contribute something that you have grown.
7 Growing your own food gives you the opportunity to try new foods that you would not usually find in the grocery store.
8. Nothing ever tastes as good as and as fresh as food you grew yourself and harvested right before preparing it.
9. Growing your own food gives you a greater appreciation for the value of food and how not to waste it.
10. Knowing how to grow your own food can give you and your family and your community food security.
If you think you agree with any of these reasons and want to know how you can grow some of your own food keep following our weekly posts in the Teaching Farmers/